Thursday 31 May 2012

To the Not So Blue Danube..

From Landshut I rode north towards the Danube, and with my newly acquired maps was able to seek out little country lanes and forest paths.  Hopping along happily through the vines...
 The place names in Germany are a constant puerile source of amusement to us English speakers. Here is one of the more innocuous ones.....
 At Pfeffenhausen the horses were once again provided with free stabling at Reitstall Sommerfield by very kind but busy proprietoress Tanya Sommerfield - so busy that I never even had time to take a photo of her!  All the stables we have stayed at in Germany have been very well run, (as in Hungary and Austria) with the well being of the horses a priority. Common features are these stables with their own little outside pens for the horses to relax in - though Zorbee could not cope with pushing through the plastic strips!
Mike fast asleep in his free stabling ....
 En route through the forests to Rockholding near the Danube .........

.... where we were treated to overwhelming hospitality at the Pine Cottage Appaloosa stud  http://www.pine.cottage.de/, courtesy of Andrea and Helmut Hoehln.   Franz and Alison came along to meet up with us, and after I had an interview with a local journalist, they took us all out for a slap up meal at a local restaurant.  Here we all are back at the ranch, and we can see Franz has been poring over maps for us as usual!
Ready for off on a wet morning.  The dog is an Australian shepherd dog, a breed which seems to be very popular here in Germany. With their multi-coloured coats, I am sure they must be descended from our own Welsh sheepdogs, which have only recently been recognised as a distinct breed - http://www.welshsheepdogsociety.com/.  Our daft dog Dyfi at home is an example.
 Back along the banks of the Danube, which I was now to follow for several days....
Unusually it actually looks blue in this photo!
 Zorbee and me with Ingoldstadt chateau in the background -  taken on my cheap little camera, but much better quality than usual as it was taken by the newspaper photographer who had arranged to meet me here!I am also sporting the brand new map case donated to the cause by Franz. It has been invaluable now I am able to do more navigation with maps, and often in wet weather.

I
Sergio, who saddled up his horse to set me on the the right path to my next destination at Marienheim....
These strange teddy bear looking creatures were baby alpacas who had just been shorn......

No comments:

Post a Comment