Saturday 22 August 2015

Winging It Again

Thursday June 18th and I was setting out into unchartered territory with nowhere definite to stay again until I reached Indiana. But I was determined to reach the original detailed route I had planned from Detroit prior to my change of plan and decision to cross the border at Port Huron.
One of Lady's shoes was clinking a bit and I was concerned it was coming loose. Fortuitously I chose to ask a young man loading a truck at the side of the road if he knew a good local farrier. Mike Bossary not only contacted someone who could come almost immediately, but invited me into the house for coffee and chat while I was waiting.  Mike and Therese Bossory run Alber Orchard and Cider Mill , growing a huge range of apples - around fifty including many 'heirloom' varieties no longer available in stores.  Therese and Lady ready to go with her newly secured shoe...
A rest stop and food shopping opportunity at the only? supermarket in Manchester, which is decidedly humble in comparison to its English namesake.....
 I have started to occasionally see mules, which are far more common in the States than Europe - here are three fine examples...
After a long tiring day and help from several people, I was eventually directed to the doorstep of people with horses - in true American fashion Collette and Jim Rubley took me in without hesitation, Lady was turned straight into a paddock, while I was fixed up in the gooseneck trailer, always a comfortable option over here!
Collette and Jim (on the left) with neighbour Celeste, see Lady and me off the next morning Thursday June 20th.   I was now on the route I had meticulously planned from Detroit using back roads wherever possible....
 
I followed this quiet byway after crossing Highway 223 at.....
... hardly the historical and cultural centre that the name promised, but at least it contained a solitary garage where I could buy a coffee and energy bar.
The ubiquitous and decorative red barn is always on the horizon...
 It is apparently de rigeur in the States to publicise your offspring's academic achievements at the side of the road...
It was getting late as I neared Osseo.  Tired and sweaty after trudging for hours, my spirits lifted when I saw what looked like electric fencing for horses across a field.  I was proved correct, and was thankful to be taken in by Leslie Lebasteur Lepesto, who kindly invited me into the house and provided a stall in the barn for Lady - very welcome as the mosquitoes were still being somewhat troublesome.   Leslie by the lovely old farmhouse she shares with son Gary.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment